Wednesday, May 21, 2014

The Many Moods of the Moon

Tonight, Dr. Kat showed us an illustration of the phases of the moon "God's Eye View" that I have never seen before. I have only ever seen the moon phases from the view we have here on Earth and so at first, I was finding it a bit hard to follow.

What made the connection for me was when we used the styrofoam ball, the pencil, and the flashlights. What a wonderful (and not to mention affordable) illustration to show the phases of the moon!

Everyone learns in different ways and I think that by having several different strategies for one particular lessons, that you reach more students.

I can't wait to see what else Dr. Kat has rolled up her sleeve for us to take with us to our future classrooms.

One of my favorite views of the moon, from the airplane.  :)
Photo: Linsley Langley

3 comments:

  1. I was pretty impressed with that Styrofoam ball model too. That demonstration, along with the diagram we drew...brilliant! I don't think I've ever had such a clear understanding of the moon phases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really was fascinating. I'm not sure how I got to my age without experiencing that. What a terrific exercise. And...I have never been in a bathroom with that many women before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved it! That was a MUCH better way to teach the moon phases than just oreo cookies!

    ReplyDelete