Monday, May 19, 2014

Magic Tricks? Or balancing of the sticks?

Tonight in class, we focused on misconceptions. I think we all at one point or another felt a little silly, thinking "I should have known that" or "its really simple if you think about it."

One of the topics that came up tonight was the broom trend. Here I am a few years ago, clearly proud of my broom balancing skills:
While there isn't any scholarly research on this matter, it appears the broom is just like the egg and doesn't have anything to do with the equinox or alignment of planets, it is just simply balancing skills. If only a few years ago we would have known this when this tend went viral on Facebook, we may have not jumped on the trend.

I am curious to see other misconceptions I have about science and learn the truth.

What else could we balance that we could "blame" on the equinox?


1 comment:

  1. Linsley, I love that you shared this photo of yourself! Jenny posted a great discussion of a NASA lesson on broom standing at http://happylittlescientists.blogspot.com/2014/05/broom-standing.html and I love Phil Plait's post about Sweeping Away Equinox Silliness at http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2012/03/19/sweeping-away-equinox-silliness/

    ReplyDelete