Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Conjunctivitis

Conjunctivitis....the actual term instead of "pink eye". I figured since I got diagnosed with conjunctivitis, I might as well make the most of it and blog about it.

During this process, I have learned a lot about conjunctivitis. First, there are four main causes of conjunctivitis: viral, bacterial, irritants, and allergies.

As we all know, pink eye is very common. When we were discussing tonight, many members of the class have had pink eye. This is my first run in with pink eye and I must say, this has given me a lot of thought about my eyes. The nurse practitioner today talked about how sensitive yet resilient they are.

According to the CDC, viral conjunctivitis can be caused from a cold, sore throat, or respiratory infection. Bacterial conjunctivitis, just like the name says is caused from bacteria while allergy conjunctivitis is caused when pollen counts are high, and when asthma and hay fever are more prominent. The last type, irritants, are caused by cleaning supplies, or other chemicals that are in the air.

After reading these articles, it is really surprising people don't get conjunctivitis more often than they do. I hope that this will be my last bout with conjunctivitis, this has not been a fun way to start off summer!

For more information, visit these websites:

 WebMD
All About Vision

3 comments:

  1. I hope you heal quickly! Pink eye is NO fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had it this time last year, also allergy related. Good news is that the drops work fast and you should feel better by tomorrow, that is, less irritation. The "pink eyes" might hang around for another day or so. You're right, it really is amazing that we don't get it more often when you think about how many times your hands touch your eyes or around your eyes in a day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job making lemonade from lemons!

    ReplyDelete